Friday, August 30, 2013

Overdogs #3 She Left the Toilet Seat Down Again

"Solitude vivifies; isolation kills." - Joseph Roux, Meditations of a Parish Priest, 1886
I awoke to a rude surprise this morning. My wife had already gone to work. I shuffled into the bathroom for my morning recycling activities, and what do I find? That’s right! My best friend, the woman with whom I had shared those sacred vows, my soul mate who had sworn to love, honor, etc., had left the toilet seat down!
Thomas Crapper, who many say invented the flush toilet, would not have been amused. He didn’t receive nine patents for plumbing products so they could be abused in such cavalier fashion. Imagine! A perfectly good toilet seat left in the down position, where it’s of little benefit to those who stand while tinkling. Maybe she thinks my aim is so good she can safely leave it down without fear. Will she never learn? I occasionally miss the target even when I sit down!
No, this is about power - naked, greedy abuse of power. I always thought the purpose of a marriage partnership was to make life easier for each other in many little ways. What could be easier and more thoughtful than preparing the plumbing for your partner’s next visit? She insists I do it for her. Where’s the reciprocity?
It’s apparent she wants to play dirty, so I need revenge. Not something so obvious as leaving the seat up. I’m no amateur. I need subtlety, guile and cunning. What to do? I could flip the toilet paper over so it rolls against the wall rather than away from it. Yeah, that’s the ticket! I’ll invite a friend to dinner and not tell her. In your face! And next time we watch TV together, I’ll teach her what all men instinctively know - that the purpose of the remote is not to find out what’s on TV, but to find out what ELSE is on.
More seriously, I’m not certain any two people can peacefully share a roof 24 hours a day. No earthling I’ve met qualifies, and to date few have endured my weirdness for any length of time either. But when one has a “Y” chromosome and one doesn’t, the challenge is greater. Thousands of years of natural selection have given the genders decidedly different imperatives. That we now face scores more choices daily than did our ancestors makes peaceful coexistence even tougher.
It’s disturbing so many middle-aged women are so bitter toward men. The stereotype of the fiftyish divorcee not needing or wanting a man in her life, and bragging about it, is sad. It’s certainly based in fact, as divorce statistics and the growing numbers of singles prove. Don’t get me wrong. Women, and men too for that matter, absolutely have the right to a partner-less lifestyle, and for some, it’s clearly the right choice. But we get constant messages and feedback that promote it as an either/or situation, as if personal fulfillment and autonomy are somehow incompatible with a shared existence.
That’s the big tragedy. I realized years ago that bitterness, anger and resentment would be an indication of my own poor choices and decision-making. I resolved never to be bitter, and I won’t be. I’ll always love and need women. Anyone who can’t express and satisfy both the male and female sides of their personality that we all have is missing out.
Clearly, the 20th century was the greatest in human history, using almost any economic or social measure. But check this out:
  • In 1900, there were 12.72 marriages for every divorce in the U.S.
  • In 1950, the ratio was 4.33 to 1. In 1998 it was 2:36 to 1.
It’s not a great trend for the majority of us who are social creatures. I’d love to see less emphasis on toilet seats and remotes, and more value placed on the human need to partner and to belong to a group. I’d love to see people be aware that bitterness is partly a reflection of bad decisions, and to resolve to change their decisions rather than choose solitude. Most of our kids would love that, too. Little people usually lose big when big people split up.
Meanwhile, tomorrow morning, I’ll get even. I’ll put the cap back on the toothpaste tube. Let her unscrew her own cap. Of course, so doing might bring to me the isolation referred to in my opening quote. And that’s because this is also true: "How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius

No comments:

Post a Comment